Saturday, July 30, 2022

400th Post: An Indulgent Look Back

This will be the fourth post in this series of reflections (link, linklink). Perhaps I "cheated" a bit in these last 100 posts, since roughly two-thirds were publications of newly searchable content on Gordon Clark, several of which are not listed in the bibliography put together by Doug Douma. But I have, at least, felt less burnt out in writing, and I hope that continues as time allows.

As implied by the above, one of my intentions within the past year has been to make headway in a long-standing resolution I've had regarding material pertaining to Gordon Clark. I am attempting to 1) comprehensively chronologize his work (especially public work), 2) make the content of said work searchable online, 3) highlight statements within his thought which have made unique or important contribution to Christian thought, 4) systematize these thoughts, and 5) develop this thought (where necessary). 

That is, the ultimate aim is not simply to restate what Clark believed but rather to use his thought as a foil for a better understanding and defense of God's revealed word. In turn, by God's grace, this will hopefully convict more people of its truth (evangelistic with respect to unbelievers; assurance with respect to believers).

Various blog posts I've already written - even a decade ago now - have been written with this in mind. but my hope is that once I've organized each of these elements (God willing), people will be able to follow my reasoning to my conclusions more easily. 

To this end, I believe I have nearly, if not fully, exhausted what online research is possible that would help fill out the first goal (a chronologized bibliography). I have now transitioned to searching physical locations for copies of periodicals, publications, audio, etc. My recent visit to Emory's theological library enabled me to find and make available a Clark work that had not yet been put online, and I am hoping to check off the same with a visit to ABHS this week (which have physical copies of The Gordon Review). Eventual visits to Covenant College (physical copies of Bible Presbyterian Reporter), Columbia Seminary (The Calvin Forum, Reformed Presbyterian Advocate), and Asbury Seminary (The Home Evangelical), and long term goals of either visiting or corresponding with people who are near to Wheaton College (American Scientific Affiliation) or PCA, WTS, and SDCS archive locations would round out my initial intentions. 

Frankly, this feels mostly like double-checking Douma's work. There are, however, a significant number of items in his bibliography that are not available online (e.g. sermons), and if the content is out there, I would be interested in finding it. Personally, I would also be interested in reading more of Clark's letters, but I also understand sensitivity regarding such materials.

As I've been researching this past year, I've also attempted to engage with more criticisms of Clark. Of course, I've critiqued Clark as much as anyone in attempts to refine his apologetic, but I want to distinguish the right from the wrong. Other, unrelated areas I've posted about have especially involved biblical theology, divine knowledge (especially, in the context of the doctrine of God), and necessitarianism. I have a sincere respect for those who have pushed to deepen our understanding of these areas, and I am always learning just how much more there is to still learn. One truth I come to appreciate more and more is that the prospect of a never-ending life with God does not scare me (as if it could ever be boring or become stale, as I have heard) but rather excites me.

I have more thoughts I hope to post about in the future, such as on original sin, realism, Eastern Orthodoxy, necessitarianism (continued), sacramentology, and epistemology and ontology in general. I did manage to clear out a few posts I've had in draft limbo for a long time now - I only have 10 more at this point (but plenty more ideas for posts and other sources from which to draw content, including weekly sermon notes I've taken for a few years now). I hope to continue to post at the same relative frequency as this past year (not counting the transcriptions of Clark works), but that will largely depend on how my personal life progresses.

And on that note, I will continue to thank God for His blessings and pray for His mercy and grace as I face obstacles - some times of my own making, some times not. As Christians, we ought to trust God's word in Romans 8:28. Let us keep the faith as we continue to run our race.

No comments: