Saturday, June 29, 2024

Simple Gospel, Solid Ground

I've argued that "the historian is an apologist" (link), but it must also be true that the apologist is an historian - for if, as I've argued, "one cannot divorce Christianity from history," any defense of or attack on Christianity will entail a defense of or attack on a particular view of history. Simple examples would include that a Christian must defend the past historicity of the resurrection (1 Corinthians 15), the prophetic historicity of the final judgment (Revelation 20ff.), and so forth.

My interest in the history of the Orthodox Presbyterian church - of which I am a member - was kindled last year, and I am surprised how quickly that interest has enflamed into an attempt to more broadly understand post-apostolic Christianity. I'm only aware of Gavin Ortlund (link), Jason Engwer (link), Turretinfan (link), William Webster and David T. King (link), and a few other Protestants here or there who accessibly yet seriously engage church history. As usual, this probably speaks to my own limitations.

Now, while I would generally recommend these Protestant resources, I actually have not spent a dedicated amount of time listening to or reading them. One reason is that I think Protestants such as myself are better off asking question in and learning from the shepherds in local churches. Relationships, friends, and confidants are made in the real world. 

A second reason is that I like apologetic "shortcuts" in the sense that even if I mastered all the material put out by these or other Protestants, it wouldn't make much practical difference if I were to discover that non-Protestants raise concerns or ask questions which these Protestants don't cover. That is, doesn't it make sense for Protestants who are interested in the defensibility of Protestantism to read non-Protestants for a sense of what are regarded as problematic barriers to entry?

Well, I think the answer to this question is: it depends. A few weeks ago, I was speaking to a younger man after evening service, a man who is in the process of deciding which local church to join. I believe he is in his 20s. Our conversation spanned many topics, and at some point - speaking of "barriers to entry" - I mentioned that I had done some recent research into Eastern Orthodoxy and their apologists for reasons mentioned in this post.

He responded with more wisdom and boldness than is typical for someone his age. It was something to the following effect: "be mindful of how much you listen to their apologists; you might find yourself allured to or sympathizing with them." At this, I smiled. His concern (and other remarks he made in the course of our discussion) led me to complementing him on being very measured. His advice is sound!

James 1:2-8 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

The young man was implicitly advising that I ensure that I am steadfast in the faith before encountering teachers who might otherwise toss me in[to] doubt. Likewise:

Colossians 1:22-23 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard...

2 Timothy 3:15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

As a happy, blessed, and new father, I will not raise my child with an intention to expose him to false teachers (even for pedagogical purposes). Of course, I will point out false teachings, and there will come a time at which my son must become mature enough to hear and refute false teachers, but I am reminded of J. Gresham Machen's remark that the best way to spot a counterfeit is by having acquaintance with that which is authentic or true. 

For Protestants who consider themselves open to the possibility that Protestantism is false, I think that evidences a need to prioritize the shoring up of their faith. Such persons are not better off listening to false teachers, especially not those who pretend that one can more or less evaluate worldviews "neutrally" (link). By God's grace, I don't have any doubts about the truth of Protestantism, but this is not to say I think there is anything shameful in recognizing that one is at a stage in sanctification in which he is more benefitted from learning truth than in applying said truths to refute error. The former recognition is wisdom too.

With these caveats in mind, I sincerely believe that Protestants who truly understand sola scriptura and the weakness of arguments against it have nothing to fear in reading church history. In fact, more Protestant apologists are needed in this arena, for as I've listened to various non-Protestant groups (e.g. Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian, Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholicism), it is here that much interaction seems to be taking place. Lord willing, I plan to write more about this, for it is fascinating that those who oppose sola scriptura experience more disagreement about the contents and perspicuity of post-apologetic, so-called "infallible" authorities (cf. here and here), sometimes even within their own traditions.

But the advice of the young man remains: Christians must first learn from and be rooted in faith in God's word. Of course, God's word is taught and preached. Christians come to know this word by various, God-ordained means. But ultimately, because the Word of God is truth (John 14:6) and light (John 1:9), His words are light from light and give light: the sum of God's word is truth (Psalm 119), and by Him and it we are sanctified (John 17:17). Simply put, one ought to be solidly grounded in God's word before it is advisable to listen to the testimonies of others:

1 John 5:9 If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God that he has borne concerning his Son.

No comments: