Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Thinking Generationally

In several of the last few posts I've written, I've mentioned that maturation, sanctification, and/or kingdom-expansion is a process. God wins, but there is a good story to be told about how He wins. He has generously chosen to accomplish victory through His people. While one never knows when the Lord may return, there is no point in waiting with bated breath. We need to work hard, breathe hard, battle hard to that end.

Let's assume that we have a ways to go before Christ's second coming. What is something practical that can have a lasting, generational effect? Here's one workable suggestion: if you are going to church - and you should be! - think about writing notes on the sermon, text, and your own reflections in order to create a family Bible commentary. I only intentionally started doing this almost 16 months ago in a journal my wife gifted me. I've been transcribing them to digital format and have ~40 pages of single-space notes, just from listening to and meditating on the word preached for one or two hours, one day a week.

In 30 years, that's 900-1,000 pages of commentary - not including notes I have from personal studies (which is above and beyond what I am recommending here). From small things, big things can slowly grow if we persevere and endure, not explode and burn out. Generationally, our knowledge of God's word and wisdom in application should, God-willing, exponentially increase.

No comments: