Thursday, January 5, 2023

Gordon Clark: Later Examinations of John Rogers (The Presbyterian Journal)

1960. Later Examinations of John Rogers. The Presbyterian Journal. 20 Jan., 12-13.

Later Examinations of John Rogers

GORDON  H. CLARK, Ph.D.

Descriptions of the tortures which the Roman Catholics inflicted on the Protestants during and after the Reformation sometimes evoke a morbid curiosity. Nonetheless they ought to be described for a faithful record of our martyred fathers. But what is less spectacular though equally necessary to be reported is the type of examination that preceded the executions. It is instructive to know for what cause these men were burned to death. In a previous issue the first trial of John Rogers was reported. Here follow parts of the second and third examinations.

"Being asked again by the lord chancellor what I thought concerning the blessed sacrament — whether I believed the sacrament to be the body and blood of our Savior Christ, who was born of the Virgin Mary and hanged on the cross, really and substantially — I answered that even as the most part of your doctrine in other points is false, and the defense thereof only by force and cruelty, so in this matter I think it to be as false as the rest. For I cannot understand the words really and substantially to signify otherwise than corporally; but corporally Christ is only in heaven, and so Christ cannot be corporally also in your sacrament.

"And here I somewhat appealed to his charity. 'My lord,' said I, 'you have dealt with me most cruelly, for you have put me in prison without law, and kept me there now almost a year and a half; for I was almost half a year in my house, where I was obedient to you and spoke with no man. And now I have been in Newgate a full year, at great costs and charges, having a wife and ten children to provide for, and have not received a penny from my livings, (a pastoral appointment) which was against the law.'

"He replied that Dr. Ridley, who had given me my livings, was a usurper, and therefore I was the unjust possessor of them.

" 'Was the King, then, a usurper', said I, 'who gave Dr. Ridley a bishopric?'

" 'Yes', he said ; and he began to set out the wrongs that King Edward had done to the Bishop of London.

"I asked him why he put me in prison. He said because I preached against the Queen.

"I answered that it was not true; and I would be bound to prove it and to stand trial of the law, that no man should be able to disprove it, and thereupon would set my life. I preached, I confessed, a sermon on the Cross, after the Queen came to the Tower, but there was nothing said against the Queen.

" 'But you read lectures afterwards,' said he, 'against the commandments of the Council'.

" 'That I did not', I said; 'let it be proved and let me die for it.'

"I might and would have added, if I had been suffered to speak, that it had been time enough to take away men's livings and then to have imprisoned them, after they had offended the laws. But their purpose is to keep men in prison until they can catch them in their laws and so kill them."

After a few more words the second examination was adjourned.

The next day, Jan. 29, 1555, the sheriffs brought him back for a third examination. The lord chancellor began:

" 'Rogers, here thou wast yesterday, and we gave thee liberty to remember thyself last night, whether thou would come to the holy Catholic Church again or not. Tell us now what thou hast determined. Wilt thou be repentant and sorry? Wilt thou return again and take mercy?'

" 'My lord', said I, 'I remember well what you said yesterday. When I yesterday desired that I might be suffered by the Scripture and authority of the first, best, and purest Church, to defend my doctrine, not only the doctrine of the primacy of the Pope but also of all the doctrine that I have preached, you answered me that it might not be granted me, because I was a private person; and that Parliament was above the authority of all private persons, and therefore its decision might not be found faulty by me, being a private person. Yet, my lord, I am able to show examples that one man hath come into a general council, and after the whole had determined and agreed upon an act or article, some one man coming in afterwards hath by the Word of God proved so clearly that the council had erred in decreeing the said article, that he caused the whole council to change and alter their act or article before determined. I am able to show two such examples. St. Augustine, when he disputed with a heretic, would neither himself nor yet have the heretic lean unto the determination of two former councils, of which one favored him and one the heretic; but he would have the Scripture to be their judge.' "

(Rogers then gave a second example). "'By these things I prove what I ought not to be denied to be heard against a whole parliament, bringing the Word of God for me, is well as the authority of the old Church 400 years after Christ, even though every man in Parliament had willingly agreed without respect of fear or favor — which thing I doubt not Ha little of. For if Henry VIII were alive and should call a Parliament and begin to determine a thing, then would ye all say, Amen, yea, and it please your grace, it is meet that it be so enacted.' "

At this point Bishop Gardiner prevented Rogers from saying more, for the Bishop saw that he was losing the argument. Then, after he had berated Rogers and taunted him, he proceeded to read his excommunication and his condemnation. The condemnation contained just two articles; first, that "I affirmed the Roman Catholic Church to be the Antichrist," and that "I denied the reality of the sacrament." Rogers was then delivered to the sheriffs. Before being carried away, Rogers petitioned the Bishop to see and speak with his wife and children. The Bishop replied that the woman was not his wife, that Rogers had lived in open sin for eighteen years, and that he would not be permitted to see her (Rogers had been a priest).

In prison between the time of his condemnation and the execution, he was able to write somewhat, and he expressed himself on doctrine and the evils of the reign in a very manly way. After a long time of imprisonment among common thieves, the sheriffs came to take him to the place of execution. Again his request to see his wife and children was denied him. However, they did join the crowd of people who came to witness the burning. He walked to the stake singing psalms, and as his body was burnt to ashes, his soul ascended in a chariot of fire to that Redeemer whom he loved even more than he loved his family, yea, even more than he loved his own life.

Butler University.

No comments: