Sunday, December 16, 2012

200th Post: An indulgent look back

It's been a little more than two years since I hit my last century mark on this blog, but though it's taken me twice as long to reach this mark as it did the first time around, I would like to think that an accumulation in knowledge has somewhat increased the quality of the posts. I admit there have been times when I've wondered just how much more there can be to learn about my particular subjects of interest. Each times, God has humbled yet intrigued me with some new tension to an old idea or some new topic which shows me just how little I know and how much I depend on His generosity. The more I study, the more I see how related things are, but rather than becoming exasperated at my lack, I need to work on praising God for His sufficient wisdom. That is the sort of habit that requires maturity through prayer, a part of my life on which I need to focus more attention. Answers are there, and they will eventually come, in this life or the next. That is enough.

I've also been looking forward to this post in order to have an excuse to look back on how far God's grace has brought me in the past two years. While many of my posts in recent months have had to do with Trinitarianism or the philosophy of time, I've been able to fit in some posts on sanctification, the philosophy of Objectivism, and some polishing touches on my favorite epistemic apologetic, the need for revelation from an omniscient person. In the past few years, I've gained perspective on how to more consistently relate Scriputalism to metaphysics, language, self-knowledge, theories of truth, epistemic justification, and pragmatic beliefs. I've come to better understand the way in which determinism, God, and morality are interrelated. I now more greatly appreciate the epistemic shortcomings of Roman Catholicism were made more clearly apparent to me. Biblical theology has continued to fascinate me, especially how they can be tied to what I might otherwise have considered tedious doctrines like covenant theology and the sacraments. Likewise, the study of divine omniscience has continued to open new ideas to me, ideas I've been able to relate to Molinism, epistemic and ontological necessities, and Van Til's philosophy, among other things. And yes, I've even found time to write some things on plain old Calvinism and the principles of the Reformation!

I can't imagine what I will learn in the next two years, God-willing. Several of these topics I mention are ripe for exploration, as are several others I haven't mentioned or had the opportunity to study. But for now, I am just thankful for what I have been given.

No comments: